Rishi is a Microsoft Data Platform Most Valuable Professional (MVP), being formally recognised by Microsoft for his community contributions. He is a Chartered Accountant with a background in Financial Modelling and Consulting in Financial Services, having worked at Deloitte, HSBC, Barclays and KPMG prior to his current role as a Senior Business Intelligence consultant at Altius (now part of Avanade).
FINANCIAL REPORTING WITH POWER BI AND EXCEL
In this session Rishi will show how to build an Income Statement in Power BI end-to-end, looking at:
- Capturing requirements for the report and scoping/designing a data model with scattered/inconsistent transaction data
- Use of a “FS Lines” table to have metadata driven financial statements including custom calculations
- Creating Dataflows to ingest data from an on-premise database/files/Web API (for exchange Rates)
- Shaping the data in Power BI Desktop into a General Ledger/Trial Balance with corresponding dimensions and currency conversion
- Creating base measures for Revenue/Profit and corresponding ratios including time-based variations (MTD/QTD/YTD) and Current vs Prior Year calculations
- Defining DAX measures for Running Totals, Category Totals and Custom Calculations
- Applying different number formats for viewing the income statement in reporting currency (USD) vs local currencies (GBP/AUD/EUR)
- Applying conditional formatting for the Income Statement matrix to highlight sub-totals/custom calculation lines differently.
Excel Virtually Global is an independent conference and is neither sponsored nor approved by Microsoft.